Best cakes for Cake Smash Session
Cake smash sessions are one of my favourite and I love it for being able to capture outstanding portraits full of fun, cheeky smiles, and little personalities showing on the images I create. This is what I always focus on – emotions and reactions. At the end of the day a baby is the main subject and it’s for him or her all that fuss!
Creating these images and making sure your baby milestone stands out is preceded by consultation and choosing colours or a theme for the shoot. Conversation covers the cake, because of course as I am a little colour coordinating freak!
Ever since I started doing them, I thought it is a very important part of the session and only wanted to co-work with the most talented bakers. To me the look is as much important as the taste! A person who could very well understands the whole concept and my number one for the first years of my cake smash sessions was Dominika in Hendon, London. Her attention to details in every design is just breath-taking! Whatever she's doing, she does it with love and passion. She is very determined, ambitious and was recognised for her outstanding creations at many popular baking shows in London and Birmingham, where she was awarded!
All that, and being generally lovely person was making me to order from her, even for the first few months after I moved to Milton Keynes! I know – crazy!
I can recommend her for any kind of cake orders to anyone who is willing to travel to North West London. You won’t regret it, I promise! Here is the link to her web site. I will also drop some links to her account on FB and IG, so that you can connect with her through social media.
After I moved, it took me some time until I found Karolina. She also is a perfectionist in every teeny tiny detail when it comes to her decorations. A taste of every single cake I ordered from her was just insane! Babies love it, parents love it, and so do I! No wonder why I buy from her even when I fancy a short “coffee & cake” break with my friends.
Now, majority of cakes for my cake smash sessions in Milton Keynes are ordered from Slodka Pasja and you should visit this fan page to see how good Karolina is.
If for any reason you choose to bring your own cake for the cake smash session with My Beloved Photos - like one of the mums in the past who is a very talented baker herself - you are more than welcome to do it. Here is just a piece of advice I would like to give you before baking or ordering:
- Let me know the colours, shades, theme – I will make it work with the set up
- Taller is better than wider – children are more attracted to play with small pieces and they look better in compliance with baby size
- 4-6 inch is big enough
- Forget about chocolate cake – on the pictures it will look like dirt or poop!
- Skip the red – when your baby gets dirty and covered with the cream it looks like as blood
- Ombre cakes – darker at the bottom, lighter colour on the top
- Avoid sugar icing as it’s difficult for small hands to get through
- Cream or buttercream for decoration on the outside is best because little fingers can get into fondant easier
- Some bakers can make the sponge layers airier and lighter so that a cake is easy for little fingers and mouth to eat. Some will also use less sugar.
If you are thinking about booking your baby first birthday cake smash session and are in MK, Tring, Leighton Buzzard area get in touch and let’s start planning together.
Links to Slodka Pasja : FB